Wednesday, July 05, 2006

How we spent our 4th of July

We started off the day by taking an Independence Day quiz. The questions were taken off of the test to become a citizen. Evan and I got 26/30 which isn't bad, but I really wonder how many Americans would pass the citizenship test. But way to go Mom for passing! It was a fun way to start the day.

I recently bought a few things at a garage sale last Saturday, a changing table and small nightstand that would double as a miniature dresser. Each of which I snagged for $5 which was excellent! After looking at them both, Evan and I decided that we would paint them and see how they turned out. This was our big experiment besides the two bookcases we painted. I always think that re-doing furniture will take much less time than it really does, but I was trying to be optimistic. We borrowed a little electric sander from our friends, bought some paint, and decided that we would be the ultimate duo and get not only 1 project done in one day, but get 2 done in one day.

We started out not really getting started until 10am. That was not such a great idea. We were having some friends from Utah come into town around 5pm, so that was cutting our time short already. We went out into the hallway and looked at our projects. Evan started to lay down plastic under the changing table and I started to sand. Soon the entire hallway was filled with dust, not to mention it covered EVERYTHING. Evan took the changing table into the other room (the apartment next door that is not occupied as of yet) where that was soon filled with paint fumes. The entire time I'm thinking that our landlord is going to pay us a visit, and that I'm killing my baby by being anywhere near this. Thank goodness for fans, and soon the paint fumes were subsiding. The sanding took much longer than I thought, and soon my hands were red and numb from the sander, and we had run out of paint for the changing table. I didn't think we would finish either of the projects, but we pulled through and FINALLY go the little dresser sanded and painted. We painted it white, and I'll sand the edges to make it look not so striking white! The changing table is a really light lavender and I think it'll look nice. Evan and I are proud that we are branching out from GREEN things.....green couch, green desk, green picture frame ect. :) So this is big for us, painting other colors.

It made me feel proud to do something ourselves, however it made me realize that we need tools and that sometimes it's a lot easier to buy something in the color you want rather than sand and paint it yourselves, but for $5 how could I say no?

Our friends from Utah Paul and Amanda came through town so that night we went to VMI (Virginia Military Institute) parade grounds and watched fireworks, it was a nice 4th of July. Hope you all had a nice 4th too.

A&E & papoose 37 days and counting until due date

No comments: