Wednesday, July 02, 2008

summer goodness

 

 

 

i am trying out a tiny little green thumb this summer. i have always lived in a place where a garden just wasn't an option, and although it's not now, i did manage to get a little planter of herbs planted! and wa-lah! i had enough basil last week to make something so delicious. it's called pesto pizza, and i owe the recipe to my amazing sister-in-law valerie, who is one of the greatest cooks i know. it's a favorite at our house and i was so proud of myself for having the basil in my own little garden instead of having to buy it.

pesto:
3 + cups basil (you can use 1/2 spinach and 1/2 basil)
1/4 c olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 c parmesan cheese
1/4 c pine nuts (you can actually use walnuts too)

blend away, until you get the consistency you like

pizza:

1 lb sausage (or tofu-valerie makes it with this, and it's so good)
1/2 an onion cut in chunks
1/2 green pepper
1/2 orange pepper (has best flavor out of all peppers in my opinion)
1 c mozzarella cheese
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Ooh. Oh my. Need..to make...that.....now.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I am going to try this for sure - maybe tonight!

sunnydaycamp said...

hello... Martha Stewart.

I wish that I had a little herby garden. looks so fun.

mckenzie said...

congrats on the babe and the garden! i am definately going to try your pizza. sounds terrific.

Carlene said...

I wanted to jump into the computer and get a bite of that pizza. So glad you shared the recipe. That is one I will definately try.

I Love Good Grub said...

this looks amazing! I have basil too in my garden. I'll have try it soon! Thanks for the recipe

NJ Hunters said...

i made this last friday and it was superb. def not as pretty as yours but still delish. thanks for the recipe!!