Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We heart Minnesota...when it's not -30

In honor of Human Rights Day, and the fact that it was ABOVE freezing we took our two little babushkas out to experience xc skiing in Minnesota. We have a dear friend who brought some skis, and a sled that he pulled Maya in. There is something so amazing and peaceful xc skiing through a forest. It was beautiful, and we had a fantastic time. Evan and I got exercise, Brynn was warm by the fire, and Maya had her fill of outside. What a great day.


Maya and Dean. Dean pulled Maya behind him on a sled. He also gets the credit for helping Maya to finally say that she loves something. We went out to his home for Labor Day this year and boated on the lake in front of his home. Maya came home and that night said "I love boats." This picture is momentous because Maya is smiling. I think I can count on one hand all the pictures we have of her smiling, well maybe two hands.


The four of us. Check out my hat with a big poofy ball on top. Evan got it for me for Christmas. I once had another hat like this with a big poofy ball on top, only my brother Chad stole the hat, the promptly cut the ball off. Sometimes I hit it on the roof of the car when getting in. I love it though, what a great hat.


Brynn didn't acutally go skiing, but stayed wrapped up in her bundle me and the silkie blanket Mandy made for her. Since it was only 18 degrees when we started we opted to ski with the littlest lady. But the 18 felt balmy compared to what it has recently been!


Sadly, this picture doesn't capture the fun Maya had. And I don't have a picture of the sled and Dean who pulled it, but Maya would scream when we went down any hills. She was thrilled.

5 comments:

Chef Messy said...

-30? Holy Moly. I see you guys have your same old knack of making totally random friends wherever you go! Haha. Looks like you're having lots of fun out there!

P.S. Your baby is SO cute! I love all that dark hair.

Kimmer said...

Almost makes me miss MN = ) I do love cross country skiing it is very peaceful and quiet. also fun is laying outside in the snow when it's dark and the snow is gently falling around you there is a stillness that can't compare to anything else so try it sometime if you dare = )
PS I agree you do have a knack for making all kinds of friends where ever you go. what a talent!!!

Dalynn said...

Your little family does the funnest things! Can't wait to see you. Mika walked around saying Maya Papaya all day yesterday.

Heidi J said...

I can't believe how cold it gets there. Brynn is so cute!

M said...

Oh yeah. -30 would definitely make me hate my life. But it looks beautiful. I wish we had a little snow.

Your girls are darling!

Oh and I am dying over that green piece of furniture in your house!

Megan